Abuse Question

When I was younger I was sexually molested by my uncle. I never said anything because I was scared, confused, ashamed. He robbed me from my childhood. Now that I am an adult I am ready to tell my family because for so long I have been chained to this hurt. My question is, If this happened many years ago can I still file charges? Do I have to hire a lawyer or where do I start? Thank You For Your Advice.