There is this man

Him and I worked together for a years in the same department, never talked outside of work related things. After a year, he switched departments and we would see each other everyday walking past each other. I don't know why it happened but we started having conversations and they just got deeper. Anyways, the chemistry between us was and still is undeniable. The feelings for each other has been there for two years now, it was always just poor timing. I don't work there anymore but we've still remained with some kind of friendship where we'd still talk. I've expressed my feelings to him one year ago and he was in a bad place at the time and never admitted his. Last night..FINALLY he told me "I think about you everyday, multiple times a day. I can't stop. I can't hold it in anymore and I don't want to hide it from you anymore" then after some more conversation he said "I love you". 
I've loved this man for so long now, now that he has told me he reciprocates the feelings, I have a fear of not moving forward with it. I guess the fear of it not working out or being him breaking my heart because then I'd lose someone that I've loved for so long.
Why did he wait until two years later to tell me that he loved me? Why was he hesitant to tell me? Can anyone give me advice how to move past the fear?