Christmas has made me realize I’m not happy...

Katie • Lover of lipstick, pasta, and Paris.

Hey, guys. I need some support/advice.

I fell in love. We’ve been together for two years. We moved in together in July and this is my first Christmas with his family.

Lately, I’ve been realizing how unhappy I am. We have nothing in common. He treats my cat badly (I asked for advice on here about that in another thread and many people were saying it was borderline abuse) . When he talks, I get bored. He makes me a version of myself I don’t like, and vise versa.

But I’ve been hesitant to leave because our story prior to moving in together was so romantic. We overcame so much to be together. I gave up everything except for my cat to move 4,000 miles to be with him.

We’re having Christmas at his dad’s and we’ve barely spent any time together. We haven’t even done any of the stuff he promised we’d do. We’re just sitting here in silence with his family. I’m incredibly bored and wishing I was elsewhere. I FaceTimed my family twice (it’s my first Christmas away from home) and their Christmas was so lively and full of love. It made me extremely aware of the contrast to the life I’ve chosen.

I’m scared to leave, though. I don’t want to “give up”. I made such a big deal about moving to a different country, giving up my brand new car, selling my piano, leaving my friends, etc etc etc. SO much that I sacrificed. I’m scared to tuck my tail in between my legs and come back home. (BTW, I did NOT move to this country JUST for him. It’s a country I’ve always wanted to live in, this was just an easy way to get here.)

But I’m so unhappy.

Should I just suck it up until July (when I was supposed to move somewhere else, anyways)? What would you do in my position?

I just wish I could go home tomorrow with my cat and keep him safe (he hates my boyfriend because of the disdain and disgust he shows the cat.)

But I didn’t come this far to only come this far... Also, I’ve been traveling so much in my downtime and seen so much of the world, something I won’t be able to do if I return home... I almost feel as if I’m stuck in this country with the occasional outlet of being able to travel (although I absolutely hate leaving my cat behind when I do so - and unfortunately, no, I can’t take him with me when I travel).

Any words of wisdom would be very much appreciated.