do you think he still cares?

me and my boyfriend broke up a couple weeks ago, we had a “thing” for almost three months and then dated for almost two. we broke up because he was really busy with school and sports and didn’t have the time. i had been thinking of breaking up with him for a couple weeks since we were both getting upset and frustrated. the night before he assured me he loved me and didn’t want to ever breakup. the next day he called me and it was a very short conversation of basically him saying the same reasons as i was thinking. he said something about us getting together in the summer at the beginning of the call but idk. he is truly a good guy, very sweet and kind hearted and polite. we haven’t talked since. i texted him about a week ago to see how he was doing and be a friend since he doesn’t have a lot of people in his life, i was just trying to be nice and all he said was that he needed a little more time. he never asks about me anymore and whenever he is asked about me he says idc and all these short answers. do you think that it’s an act and he still cares or that he threw it all away and doesn’t care anymore? please please please help me!!!