Labor and Delivery/ Visiting Rules

Whitney

***It's long but I needed to add details***

My husband and I frequently discuss how the process will go. This is his first experience and my second.

The last time I was in L&D; I became very overwhelmed and my stress level was through the roof. First of all I hated how the epidural made me feel. I felt powerless and like I had no say so when it came to my body. Secondly, due to so many consecutive visits I was never able to really give breast feeding a try. I would start and then have to quickly cover because someone was walking in. (I wasn't exactly comfortable breast feeding from the beginning.)

Lastly, I felt like our brief moments of getting to bond, just the 3 of us, and take in what we had just experienced was almost non-existent. There were so many people excited about this new baby that they were inconsiderate of how we felt and what I needed.

With all of that being said, would it be rude of us (me) to request no visitors during our time in L&D;?

*I see this being a big problem for my in-laws. However, they have a 10 and 11 year old that feel like it's okay to disrespect boundaries. That's not cool with me, especially when it's my boundaries they are disrespecting. They also exclude my son and do NOT consider him "their grandchild". I feel stressed out just thinking about them being there while I'm birthing my daughter.

*My family would respond better if I asked them to limit their time there or to call before just coming over..

I don't know what to do but I am open to any and all suggestions!! What should I do?