4 month sleep regression

Je

I’m so worried because my little guy has been going through this for 3 weeks now and I understand that their sleep is more like adult sleep now. That they go from light to deep sleep and wake up in between so they have to figure out how to put them self back to sleep.

I’ve read that this is when sleep training comes into play but I’ve also read that once the regression phase is over they sleep better again. So I’m really at a loss of what to do. I’ve been trying to sleep train him by putting him down drowsy but awake, letting him cry for a few seconds then picking him up and calming him down. But he gets SO stressed out from this that once I go to put him down after about the 2nd try, he freaks out as soon as I start to put him down. I feel like it’s doing more harm than good. Then I also read that babies don’t know how to self soothe until 6 months so you should wait until then to sleep train. He doesn’t know how to self soothe at all at 4 months like some babies I’ve read do. He doesn’t suck his thumb, doesn’t like pacifiers,he doesn’t have any favorite toys yet.

I’m just stuck and don’t know what to do.