Workplace Bullying

ان

I believe I’m being bullied at work. This co worker has screamed at me for doing my work. Whenever I finish a project/report he gets angry if I copy the boss when I email it to him or when I send it to the boss first. I don’t need a pat on the back for doing my job but when I work on something that I’m meant to send for his review, instead of pointing out the relevant points we may include or exclude if he has any suggestions, he calls me & points out the flimsiest of things (like “why did you write the word “insert a word” instead of “a synonym for that word” or why did you write the word “president” with a small letter “P” - even though we have an editor who checks after the work is done) that have nothing to do with the substance of the work. I always prefer to have his input on work we do together, via email so I can refer to it. But because many times his feedback is not relevant to the work, he says he prefers to speak in person. I plan to suggest to the boss to as soon as possible implement his plan of put up a document online and having each member comment on it through that platform.

I was meant to write a proposal for a chapter as instructed by the head of our department so I asked this co worker in the spirit of team work if he has any ideas & he responded that we do not even need to work on something like this and he went on a 10 minute rant totally wasting my time. In a team meeting sometime later, I asked for more time on this particular project and this co worker then offered suggestions as to how to go about it.

I reviewed a document, wrote a draft opinion & he called and asked why we need to incorporate the thing I suggested so I explained to him like 5 times and gave examples and even said that the boss agrees. He then called the secretary in my presence and said he & I do not agree with this and I said I only do because the boss thinks it should be included. & I replied that I am more inclined towards my recommendation. At that point he tried to explain that it wasn’t what he meant and went on another 5 minute explanation that did not add up, again wasting the company’s time.

He was locked out of his office once and was offered an empty office for the day. But he barged into my office and said “no I am camping at her office today.” At that point he added “if you don’t mind.” (I didn’t mind). And he shouted towards the secretary’s office talking about me “she’s always on the phone anyway” which is completely false.