How do you cope with regret?

I’ve been seeing a therapist for a little over a year and I still feel stuck. We both can agree that I am not making much progress and it’s really taking a toll on me.

How do you cope with regrets?

I have so many and I can’t help it. I can’t let go.

I regret that I moved in with my now husband so quickly but I couldn’t pull away. He’s always sucked me in. He’s not abusive or anything. Just seems to always get me to do things his way. And I try so hard to not do that but I can’t.

We got engaged very early on and it was awful. I was very uncomfortable and put on the spot and couldn’t say no with all of his friends there. We did talk after and agreed to wait a few years before the actual wedding. But then my birth control failed and we got pregnant. So he said we should just do it anyways. Our wedding was one of the worst days. Even he hates to think about it. Our baby shower became a war zone for the families. And ever since our child was born I’ve been isolated and even more upset that things all happened so rushed and I feel so out of control of my life. I love my son and I do love my husband but I hate how our life started. I hate feeling so awful for hating it.

I know I should just be happy because we have a healthy kid but I’ve been having issues since the beginning regretting everything and talking has only seemed to make it worse. It’s been three years since the start of this all. And I just can’t get past it. I don’t know what to do

I feel awful for thinking and feeling this way.

I don’t know how to change my life around to make it feel better.

I know it’s my fault. I know I am the one to blame. But that doesn’t make it any easier for me to get through. I know that everything that has happened in my life is solely my fault. I take full responsibility for that. I just can’t seem to figure out how to let it go. I can’t forgive myself.