My story

Jenna

- So this month is mental health awareness month and I thought I’d share a little bit of my story dealing with depression and anxiety, and hopefully help other people suffering and going through this. So not many people know my story, but I have been dealing with Major Depressive Disorder and Chronic Anxiety since 6th grade. I stared self harming around that time, but am now 4 months clean. Many people think self harm is just for attention or being stupid, but it’s a real, genuine problem. Around 8th grade I stared having suicide ideations, but never went through because I didn’t wanna hurt my family. This year I started taking pills in high dosages, in attempt to kill myself. I was homeless, didn’t have family, and at that point didn’t see a reason to be alive any more, and I didn’t see it getting any better. About 3 weeks ago I got officially diagnosed with depression and anxiety after I put myself in the hospital because I had planned on committing suicide that night. This was my first time in a mental health facility and it was the best thing to ever happen to me. I got help. I met people, and listened to their stories and really understood that I wasn’t alone, I learned coping skills, received therapy and got started on medications. 2 weeks out and I’m doing the best I have honestly ever been. I now know I’m not alone, I do have people that love me, and I DO have MANY reasons to be alive. I’m happy, healthy, and honestly never been better. I’m going to have to continue working on myself and it’s not going to always be easy but I now have a good support system and surrounded myself with amazing people. I have never shared my story, and was always so nervous and embarrassed of my past / mental illness, but now I realize it’s nothing to be embarrassed about, I was sick and needed help, no different than physical illness requires medical care. Anyway, thank you for taking the time to read this and hear my story.

#mentalhealthawareness #Breakthestigma

- To any one struggling: Please know you aren’t alone, and things WILL get better with time and effort. Don’t be embarrassed, reach out and get help. It took me about 6 years before I finally had the courage to get help and it was the best thing that ever happened to me. You ARE loved, and amazing, continue fighting for your health and happiness, you got this I believe in you! If you ever need ANYTHING message me anytime, even if it’s 3 in the morning, I’m here for you always, even if I don’t know you, I’m 100% here for you because you are worth it! Keep your head up! 💚