Sacked on the basis of being pregnant

J

I’m in Germany, where this kind of thing is still totally illegal, but there you go.

I had an interview in which I was candid about my early stage of pregnancy, successfully negotiated terms (which were albeit cash-in-hand), assured the employers my pregnancy would not affect my ability to work, worked 1 day in this new job and was paid and complimented for a job well done... then I didn’t hear from them for weeks (they were supposed to be in contact).

So I sent them a prompting message and got this response:

“We are looking for a long term arrangement and your pregnancy is very lucky for you but not so lucky for US in terms of working for us. [...] So - sorry - we will not hire you.”

Welcome to 2019 everyone. They think their cash-in-hand arrangement protects them, but it does not. Discrimination at work of a pregnant woman is 100% illegal no matter which way you cut it!

I’m incensed, in shock. I’ve been left feeling like I did something wrong in disclosing my pregnancy. But I do know I did nothing wrong at all.

My husband is already looking into solicitor insurance for us, which will give me the option to choose what to do next or at least give me the peace of mind that I can defend myself. I already recently had the most god awful experience during an appointment with an ENT who seemed to love telling me how inconvenient my pregnancy was to him. I mean, really. This can’t just be Germany, right? And shame on Germany. I came here to be with my husband, but by god I miss the U.K. now!

In the meantime, I’ve left one star reviews on the internet for their business, describing exactly the way I was treated. People cannot get away with being so inhumane in this day and age!

😡🤬

Has anyone else suffered such an injustice just because they were pregnant?