Why do people feel this is okay?

Alright I just have to complain. A few days ago I was at work. I work at Spencer’s Gifts so, any of you that have been in there know we have the back of the store which is a bunch of intimate items.

Well, I’m still fairly new and I’ve only been there for about a month. A few days ago I was sectioned in the back for the first time and I really enjoyed it! It was fun to help customers learn about different products and help them find the best fit for what they’re looking for.

But then, these three guys walked in. Sort of rowdy and we try to really customer service people like that to keep them from getting to out of hand and making other shoppers back there feel uncomfortable. I guess they were preparing for a bachelor party and they asked where handcuffs were. We have a whole wall of bondage type stuff so I walked them over there and started talking about the different handcuffs we carry, from metal to very fuzzy to leather.

THEN, one of the men really asked me, “so are you into this type of stuff?” I know it doesn’t seem like a huge deal but it was obviously trying to hit on me or get into a very sexual conversation with me and I expected something like that to happen eventually, but oh my god it pissed me off. I’m not there to talk about my sexual life, I’m there to help with product knowledge. I just answered that I wasn’t going to answer that and that it was a very personal question and then passed the off to my manager.

WHO thinks it’s okay to ask a complete STRANGER about their sex life?! 🙄