The moment you realize your husband has no clue.

Alisha

I had the first grown up conversation with my husband and money/budget the other day then I have had in a long time.

We have had a crazy ride in dealing with our finances so a long time ago we decided it was best to split certain things and have seperate accounts.

So after our conversation I moved around funds and paid for things not on my list for the first time in about 5 years.

2 days later I decided to do an experiment. He came home from work and had a beer or two and we started talking about a project we are working on together. Throughout the conversation I realized that I could get him to agree to spending on things that we hadn't talked about in the days prior and he admitted to some overspending that he hadn't brought up in the conversation either. He was ready and willing to spend every penny I had just given him access to in savings.

After some thinking I realized that he just has no clue about money and in the last 5 years of me having to deal with my own budget I have grown up a lot and he hasn't. It used to be that he didn't trust me with money, but now I don't want to openly give him access to mine.

I am just not sure how to get him to be more responsible when he has such strong opinions that he is right and does well when sober, but when drinking with anyone is willing to open the pocketbook so easily.