Should sex Ed be a requirement in schools?

an

So a family friend of mine is 14 yrs old and when I had announced my pregnancy, he had came to me about his concerns. He and his gf had unprotected sex 2 days after her period. She’s now late and instead of a period it’s spotting. They’re worried sick that she’s pregnant. So I sat them down and told them that 1: she’s on birth control which causes late periods and spotting and 2: it’s unlikely she got pregnant 2 days after her period on birth control since BC prevents ovulation. I told them that since they aren’t educated in procreation and aren’t ready for a child to have protected sex. I mean it’s not my place to tell someone else’s kid to stop having sex. So I told them that as long as they have sex, make sure it’s protected. Now 2 months later they’re still freaking out about it. It made me think.. “wow kids aren’t educated in sex anymore.” They just have sex cuz its the “cool” thing to do or cuz it feels good. And they forget the consequences of unprotected sex.

Looking at statistics, more and more teens are getting pregnant due to the fact that they aren’t educated. Many of them don’t even know what ovulation is or how the cycle works. Most of them just go “oh it’s my period” without understanding why they have periods. When I was in school, we were required to watch a puberty video for both female and male. But I was never educated in how reproduction works or how sex works. I was told to wear condoms but besides STD prevention, I didn’t understand why. It wasn’t until I was actively TTC that I educated myself on the cycle phases and what not. I mean obviously you have sex and the sperm goes to the egg and you have a baby,but there is an actual science to it. If kids were educated in that science and what to look for with STDs and pregnancy, then maybe kids would be less likely to get pregnant or have unprotected sex. Idk that’s just my opinion

What do you guys think?

Vote below to see results!