please help - stupid argument

I don’t know what to do.

Me and my bf can’t agree in argument. It’s all stemmed from me coming to him for help because I was upset, saying something he took as a criticism, and him being angry at me and not being honest that I’d upset him with a poor choice of words. Because he didn’t explain why he was angry at me, to me it just felt like he was annoyed that I was opening up about my problems, which made me feel alone and hurt. Since being honest about the real reason, I apologised to him for how I made him feel with what I said but he won’t apologise for not being there for me because in his mind, it’s my fault he was annoyed in the first place. I told him that this makes me feel like he doesn’t care or respect that I just want him to say sorry so we can move on, so he says that he’s sorry in a way that means he’s just saying it to shut me up, not because he genuinely cares. We seem to be in a rut about this, and neither one is backing down. What should I do? Am I being too difficult wanting him to mean it when he says he’s sorry?