Help ?

Ok so there’s this guy in my grade (junior) that I use to like. At least I think I don’t like anymore. It was mention to him that I liked him but he didn’t say anything about it which didn’t bother me. When he found out that I liked him, he still approached me but like I do too but it’s very specific. It’s planned. Idk what he thinks of me which bothers me and I would like to talk to him more but he’s always with his friends. It’s like one day we tap the next we don’t, it’s very awkward bc when we both make eye contact. We just look at each other for a split second and don’t say anything. Idk if he thinks I still like him but am pretty sure I don’t even think my friends thing otherwise. The other thing is that even tho I say that, I still notice him in class if you know what am saying. Like ik if he’s in class, what he’s wearing and things like that. Am trying not to do that bc ik I wouldn’t wanna date him. He’s nice when I approach him but like am intimidated to talk to him when he’s with his friends. I would just rather be friends with him than have things be awkward. Should I just give up on being friends and ignore him? Please ask any question you’re confused bc so am I and am hoping u guys can help out.